10 Ways to Legally Relocate to Canada in 2024


If you’re considering relocating to Canada, this guide is here to help. Known for its stunning landscapes, diverse culture, and high quality of life, Canada offers numerous pathways for those looking to make it their new home.

In this post, we’ll explore ten ways you can legally relocate to Canada in 2024. We’ll break down each method in simple terms to help you understand the process and determine which option might be the best for you.


1. Express Entry System

The Express Entry system is one of the most popular ways to immigrate to Canada for skilled workers aiming for permanent residence. Here’s how it works:

  • Create a Profile: Provide information about your skills, work experience, language ability, education, and other details.
  • Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS): Your profile is given a score based on the CRS. The higher your score, the better your chances of receiving an invitation to apply for permanent residence.
  • Invitation to Apply (ITA): If your score is high enough, you’ll receive an ITA for permanent residence. You’ll have 60 days to submit your application and supporting documents.

The Express Entry system includes three programs:

  • Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP): For individuals with at least one year of skilled work experience.
  • Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP): For qualified tradespeople with experience in specific trades.
  • Canadian Experience Class (CEC): For those with at least one year of work experience in Canada.

2. Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)


Canada’s provinces and territories have their own immigration programs called Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs). These programs allow provinces to nominate individuals who want to immigrate and settle in a particular province.

  • Choose a Province: Each province has its own PNP with specific requirements and streams. Research the provinces to find the one that best matches your skills and preferences.
  • Application Process: Apply directly through the province or through the Express Entry system if the province has an Express Entry stream.
  • Nomination Certificate: If nominated, you’ll receive a nomination certificate, significantly boosting your CRS score in the Express Entry system.

3. Family Sponsorship

Family sponsorship allows Canadian citizens and permanent residents to sponsor their family members to come and live in Canada.

  • Eligible Sponsors: Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident meeting certain financial requirements.
  • Eligible Family Members: Includes spouses, common-law partners, dependent children, parents, and grandparents. Other relatives may be eligible under specific conditions.
  • Application Process: Submit a sponsorship application, and your family member must submit a permanent residence application. Both are reviewed by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

4. Study Permit

If you want to study in Canada, you can apply for a study permit.

  • Acceptance Letter: Get accepted by a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada.
  • Apply for a Study Permit: Provide proof of acceptance, financial support, and other documents.
  • Work While Studying: A study permit allows you to work part-time during the academic year and full-time during scheduled breaks.

After completing your studies, you may be eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP), which allows you to gain Canadian work experience, valuable if you decide to apply for permanent residence through Express Entry or other programs.

5. Work Permit

A work permit allows you to work in Canada for a specific employer for a set period. There are different types of work permits:

  • Employer-Specific Work Permit: Tied to a specific employer. You’ll need a job offer and, in most cases, a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) to show that no Canadian workers are available for the job.
  • Open Work Permit: Not tied to any specific employer. Examples include the Post-Graduation Work Permit and permits for spouses of skilled workers or international students.

To apply for a work permit, submit an application with required documents, such as a job offer letter, proof of qualifications, and proof of financial support.

6. Start-Up Visa

If you’re an entrepreneur with an innovative business idea, the Start-Up Visa program might be the right choice for you.

  • Eligibility: Must have a qualifying business, a letter of support from a designated organization (e.g., venture capital firm, angel investor group, or business incubator), meet language requirements, and have sufficient settlement funds.
  • Application Process: Submit an application with supporting documents, including your business plan and proof of support from a designated organization.

The Start-Up Visa program aims to attract innovative entrepreneurs who can create jobs for Canadians and compete globally.

7. Self-Employed Persons Program

This program is for individuals with relevant experience in cultural activities or athletics who can make a significant contribution to the cultural or athletic life of Canada.

  • Eligibility: At least two years of self-employment or participation at a world-class level in cultural activities or athletics. You must show your intention and ability to be self-employed in Canada.
  • Application Process: Submit an application with supporting documents, such as proof of your experience and a plan for your self-employment in Canada.

8. Refugee and Asylum

Canada offers protection to individuals fleeing persecution, war, or violence. There are two main pathways:

  • Refugee Resettlement: For individuals outside their home country needing protection. You can be referred by the United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR), a designated referral organization, or a private sponsorship group.
  • Inland Asylum: For individuals already in Canada seeking protection. Submit a claim for asylum and provide evidence of the persecution or danger you face in your home country.

The process involves rigorous screening to ensure applicants meet the criteria for refugee protection.

9. Atlantic Immigration Program (AIP)

This program is designed for skilled workers and international graduates who want to live and work in one of Canada’s Atlantic provinces: New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, or Prince Edward Island.

  • Eligibility: Must have a job offer from a designated employer in one of the Atlantic provinces.
  • Application Process: Once you receive a job offer, you can apply for permanent residence through the AIP. The employer will help you with the settlement process and ensure you meet the program requirements.

10. Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot (RNIP)

The RNIP is a community-driven program that aims to spread the benefits of economic immigration to smaller communities by creating a path to permanent residence for skilled foreign workers who want to work and live in one of the participating communities.

  • Eligibility: Must have a job offer from an employer in one of the participating communities.
  • Application Process: After securing a job offer, you need to get a recommendation from the community and apply for permanent residence.

Wrapping Up

Canada offers a variety of pathways for individuals and families looking to make it their new home. Whether you’re a skilled worker, student, entrepreneur, or someone seeking protection, there’s an immigration program that fits your situation. Understanding the different options and their requirements can help you choose the best pathway for your journey to Canada.

Remember, immigration laws and policies can change, so stay updated and seek professional advice if needed.

In future posts, we’ll explore other ways you can legally move to Canada.


Leave a Reply